I've noticed something recently. I sing a lot, making up lyrics to songs to fit the moment (this morning it was "Of all the Cats I've Loved Before" and something else to the tune of "Feelings") or singing snippets of lyrics that come to me ("Crazy" comes to mind a lot, but I also taught the kids my favorite elementary music class song "Don Gato" this morning and referred to "Super Turkey" at dinner), in addition to singing along to the radio or iPod. Sometimes, they aren't even songs I really know. But I've heard them all of my life. Because Gommie does it, too. In fact, many of the bits I sing are the ones she sang, like "Oh, I ain't got a barrel of money . . ." or "Roll out the barrel" or "First you say you do, and then you don't . . . " or "Sidewalks of New York" or "You are my sunshine" or so many others that don't come to mind right now because it's not really a conscious habit. I'm singing before I know it. Yesterday afternoon, I was singing along to the carols at the craft store before I even realized they'd started the Christmas music! I wonder if Sis and Bud will do the same thing?
-=-=-=-=-
"Don Gato"
Oh Senor Don Gato was a cat
On a high red roof Don Gato sat
He went there to read a letter,
Meow, meow, meow
Where the reading light was better,
Meow, meow, meow
'Twas a love note for Don Gato
I adore you wrote the lady cat
Who was fluffy, white and nice and fat
There was not a sweeter kitty,
Meow, meow, meow
In the country or the city,
Meow, meow, meow
And she said she'd wed Don Gato
Oh, Don Gato jumped so happily
He fell off the roof and broke his knee
Broke his ribs and all his whiskers,
Meow, meow, meow
And his little solar plexus,
Meow, meow, meow
Ay Caramba cried Don Gato
Then the doctors all came on the run
Just to see if something could be done
And they held a consultation,
Meow, meow, meow
About how to save their patient,
Meow, meow, meow
How to save Senor Don Gato
But in spite of everything they tried
Poor Senor Don Gato up and died
And it wasn't very merry,
Meow, meow, meow
Going to the cemetery,
Meow, meow, meow
For the ending of Don Gato
When the funeral passed the market square
Such a smell of fish was in the air
Though his burial was slated,
Meow, meow, meow
He became reanimated,
Meow, meow, meow
He came back to life, Don Gato
I love to sing also and I have an awful sounding singing voice. My whole family begs me to stop when I sing. Meanies!!
ReplyDelete