I was reading Nicholas Kristoff's recent "Politics, Odors and Soap:"
“The Righteous Mind,” by Jonathan Haidt, a University of Virginia psychology professor, argues that, for liberals, morality is largely a matter of three values: caring for the weak, fairness and liberty. Conservatives share those concerns (although they think of fairness and liberty differently) and add three others: loyalty, respect for authority and sanctity. . . . Another way of putting it is this: Americans speak about values in six languages, from care to sanctity. Conservatives speak all six, but liberals are fluent in only three. And some (me included) mostly use just one, care for victims."No wonder we don't communicate well or understand each other sometimes.
I can't do the whole article justice, without just quoting it all here, so check it out. It's a quick and thought-provoking read, as is, I imagine, Haidt's book.
No comments:
Post a Comment