Tonight we squeezed in an unplanned date night after physical therapy, heading to Bloodroot for a Turkish dinner in honor of the owners' return from their vacation abroad. It sounds like they had a marvelous time and loved the hospitable people, enjoying the sites including the usual Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, and Hagia Sofia, as well as a mosque designed by a woman (a first; link has some pretty photos. I've actually been to Turkey, once, for a day, in the middle of a Greek Island cruise with Gommie--we saw the Roman ruins at Ephesus, but I don't recall eating there at all). And what wonderful food! Tonight, they served a dinner inspired by their trip, especially the foods at the spice markets (and Selma's numerous collections of Turkish cookbooks):
- Borek - a filled savory fillo pastry
- Muhummara - a delicious spread made from roasted peppers, aleppo peppers, and pomegranate molasses
- Cemen - a spiced tomato walnut dip
- Apricot Pistachio Pilaf, with lots of great flavor and texture
- Lokum - Turkish delight (in this case, a not so sweet candy)
It reminded me of our favorite exhibition on the Silk Road. I hope Bloodroot keeps some of these dishes on the menu. It's a nice change from all the standard Italian around here.
I can't wait to go there. I hope they keep some of those on the menu too.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to Bloodroot in ages. This post may lure me back!
ReplyDelete(That mosque is amazingly beautiful)