I couldn't read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society without wanting to be a member of that group! I know I am coming to the party about four years late, but I just picked up the epistolary novel and couldn't put it down. While it was strongly reminiscent of 64 Charing Cross Road--WWII, books, a story in letters, England--it had a more active narrative, diverse and endearing characters, and a much happier ending.
I realize that I rarely blog about books I really like, mentioning those that are entertaining or informative instead. But I never really posted about Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran, Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and others I can't remember at this point. Perhaps I find it difficult to put their effect on me into words; being touched by a book is often an intimate, private experience. I mean, I've said I like Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows's book, but not much more. So, I'll leave it at read it yourself, though you probably already have, and let me know what you thought . . . if you can.
Loved it. My Mom loved it. My friend Liz loved it.
ReplyDeleteI thought you were actually starting a book club. I got excited!! Haven't read that book, but I did read, Animal Vegetable Miracle (one of the first books to change my views on food) Happy reading...
ReplyDeleteI SAW 84 repeat 84 Charing Cross Road as a stage play some years ago, it was extremely cleverly done, a cast, if I remember correctly, of only 2 who aged as the book progressed, along with the set decorations which became increasingly darker and dustier. A great great grandfather of mine spent some time in the workhouse at the end of Charing Cross Road, he had worked at a maitre d' in a nearby hotel, so he said but I have diagnosed him as a manic-depressive.
ReplyDelete