Lily Potter
Narcissa Malfoy
Molly Weasley
Don't f**k with moms.
Yep, that's the lesson for today, folks. We just went to the movies to see
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Bud begged to go with us, but nope. Not until he's read the books). I made it through the whole thing, pacing back and forth on the carpet leading to the exit. And when I could watch the vertiginous camera work through the amazing sets and scenes, I loved watching Narcissa Malfoy lie to Voldemort and then Molly Weasley destroy Bellatrix Lestrange. And of course, there's Lily Potter whose love, the most powerful magic of all, saved her son.
Sure, you can discuss Harry Potter from the perspective of Christian theology, Jungian archetypes, the hero's journey, the road from childhood to adulthood, all the literary and folkloric influences. And sure, it's named after the hero. But in the movie today, it was the moms who ruled.
(Well, and Prof. McGonagall and Neville Longbottom and Hermione and Ron and . . . and . . . and . . . )
No comments:
Post a Comment