Friday, August 26, 2011

Laughing Instead of Crying

Bless children, they can be so oblivious sometimes. Luckily, today was one of those days. While I was fielding phone calls and checking forecasts, making lists and checking them twice, the kids played and played and played. They know we're having a storm, with rain and wind, though we haven't called it a hurricane around them. But they are singularly unperturbed. I envy the innocence.

And so several times throughout the day, I joined in. We played Harry Potter. A lot. Inside and outside. Sis is Harry. Bud is Hermione. And I vacillate between Hagrid and Ron. We shop on Diagon Alley, ride the Hogwarts Express, practice potions, and play Quidditch.

Later, they did a long dance and dramatic arts performance for me, complete with multiple costume changes, as well as a multi-verse original song accompanied by bongos that goes something like "Something or that,/Something or that/There's a monster with a towel on its head." The last line changes. And no, I'm not sure exactly what it means.

So, thanks to them, we laughed instead of getting stressful and had a good day despite the storm both literally and figuratively swirling around. I hope we can all continue in that light the rest of the weekend.

Good luck, East Coast! I'll blog when I can, depending on power, batteries, and network connection. And of course, Harry Potter playtime . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment