Saturday, March 5, 2011

Unplugged Failure

No surprise: I didn't make it 24 hours without technology (which I define here as email and blogging, since text/phone and tv/movies, or even social networking, are not much of a challenge for me--I haven't done any of those in 24 hours). In fact, I only made it the 12 or so hours that I was settling down, heading to bed, asleep, and getting up in the morning. Though, to my (not very great) credit, I did only check email on my schedule, in other words, not like Pavlov's dog when the little chime alerted me to mail (I turned it off!).

And I learned a few things:
  • because of my various volunteer activities--Daisy Scout leader, church volunteer, docent/volunteer at two historic houses, library volunteer, and reading volunteer--I coordinate and keep track of many things via email, which I always recommend above the phone for reaching me. And since today was cookie pick up, I had a few things I needed to address via email. Perhaps if I had known about the day earlier, I could've better prepared; and on other days, it isn't quite so pressing.
  • I connect with many friends and family via email and blogging; to go unplugged means keeping them out of our loop or being out of their loop; perhaps 24 hours shouldn't matter, though.
  • Blogging for me and researching topics online for both Mama and me are recreational and relaxing; it's also something we share and discuss, much like reading or movies.
  • I also coordinate with Mama via email, timing things or checking in when we are separated (or updating our extremely useful calendar and grocery list apps); today it was kung fu and cookie pick up.
  • I do, however, turn to email and the web when I am bored or reluctant to do something else; this is the danger for me because then I become absorbed online to the exclusion of opportunities around me (even things I like, such as crocheting or reading or such), which I might explore or engage in if not, well, otherwise engaged. And yes, gulp, that means I have been known to ignore my family to "just let me finish this post" or "answer this email."
So, I think I might keep the chime turned off my 'droid so that checking email is not reactive but proactive. And I might try to cluster my online activities instead of sprinkling them across the hour, so that I don't step away from my other activities too much (and then I can just say, "I've played Star Wars for an hour, I need to get on the computer and coordinate the PTA cookbook for a bit.")--it's about being present in my family's presence while also not shirking my other (yes, lesser) responsibilities. While technology is here to stay and I am not a luddite meaning to change it, this attempt at being unplugged (much like my earlier off-line Thursdays) reminds me to use it more consciously and conscientiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment