Sunday, March 27, 2011

Green Night

Last night between 8:30-9:30 p.m. was the Earth Hour, a one-hour period of eschewing modern technologies like phones, televisions, computers, and even lights in order to appreciate simplicity and recognize our toll on the earth.

And I almost forgot. Until I read Sew and Sow's reminder. At 8:11 p.m. The kids were in bed but not asleep. Mama and I were still cleaning up downstairs. And we had 19 minutes to get ready.

We were late. We finished cleaning up, remembered to shut down the automatic outside lights, and managed to get ready for bed. But the kids were still awake. And were going to notice if I shut off their night light for an hour. So I told them what we were doing and they voluntarily shut off the light and--lo, and behold!--almost immediately fell asleep!

What did we do? We sat in the dark and talked instead of watching the "Glee" DVD that had arrived that afternoon. What did we talk about? Broadway musicals!

All in all, a good evening.

I wonder if the kids could do without the night lights again?

Or us without the video?

1 comment:

  1. In 1953 M & I moved into a rented house, no electricity, one water tap(faucet), no drains and an outside earth closet. Lights from coal gas downstairs, nothing upstairs so we had a small paraffin lamp and paraffin heater. It got cold that winter, 10 F but we got through it. We did have a battery radio. The neighbours had the same conditions but they had 3 children including a baby of 18 months.

    ReplyDelete