And then, in my pissiest of moods, about both Wisconsin and Texas, I say: you deserve it. The majority of people in those states voted for those politicians who promised no new taxes, fiscal responsibility, cutting "big government" (Have you ever noticed that "big government" usually only includes progressive programs like Medicaid, public education, public media, environmental protection), blah blah blah. Those states vote for the politicians who continue to undermine workers, children, the most vulnerable people in the lowest socio-economic groups. And some people in those groups (well, not the children, obviously, but the parents) vote that way too.
And then they blame Obama.
Of course, I realize that's just angry hyperbole on my part, especially because people who don't vote for the winners do suffer under majority rule. I know because I had that experience--as a lesbian, a woman, a mom, a progressive--for 8 years under Bush Jr. (though thankfully with the buffers of money, an education, and life in liberal states. See today's NYTimes editorial about how CT's new DEMOCRATIC governor is creating a "better budget.").
And really, even if they vote for them, no one really deserves the leaders of Texas and Wisconsin.
No comments:
Post a Comment