Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Disappointments

I don't really like the word "disappointment," much less the feeling, and I never use it against my children. But we've had some little bits of it this week:
  • Sis missed school on Monday and, when Bud got home, he said he had something for her from school. She was so excited. What could it be? The books from the book order? A get-well note? "No. Your homework packet."
  • I have some kind of stomach ick and have been rather lazy for 24 hours, missing a dinner tonight and coffee tomorrow (in case it's contagious, which I rather doubt), plus numerous phone calls (Hi Mama Teacher!) and emails (Hi Mrs. S! aka Mde Director). (But at least I made rice pudding!) And I was grumpy and not much fun today. After rest time when I apologized for said grumpiness, Bud demanded a do-over, "I want to go back to lunch and start all over again because you didn't play today."
  • The phone rang: we all knew the babysitter wasn't coming. She didn't.
  • The doorbell rang: it wasn't Mama but the UPS guy. Not for them.
  • On cookie-distribution night, we put the kids to bed before the moms came over for their cases. But at some point, we heard a noise upstairs. When Mama got upstairs to check on them, Bud was cuddled up in his bed like an angel. And then Sis ratted him out: "He snuck down to the landing to watch but said it was only adults only talking."
  • I've been so excited about my colonial costume and must have been saying as much, repeatedly. Sis responded, "Mom, you've told us that before. You talk about it too much." To which Bud added, "Did you get mine?" No. "How am I going to teach with you if I don't have one?"
  • On the beautiful sunny Monday, Bud carefully climbed one-handed up into the play fort with his lunch. Which he then promptly knocked over once he got there.
  • Even Hermione the cat had one. At least twice, I sat down and she crawled into my lap, only to have me get up again pretty much right away.
As Bud said, parroting but misunderstanding Madagascar, "it shucks."

(Sis corrected him, but also censored, "It stinks, Bud, it stinks.")

-=-=-=-=-=-

Rice Pudding

3 cups milk
1/3 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup raisin (optional here)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a heavy medium saucepan, bring milk to boiling; stir in uncooked rice and raisins. Cover; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until most of the milk is absorbed (might have a curdled look to it). Stir in sugar and vanilla. Spoon into dessert dishes. Sprinkle with nutmeg (or spritz with rosewater! Or sprinkle with cardamom). Serve warm or chilled. Serves 5-6.

Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook
Rice Pudding

1 comment:

  1. My mother always soaked the rice overnight, she made the best rice pudding ever, especially the skin.

    ReplyDelete