Thursday, March 3, 2011

For Art's Sake

"Mom," Bud said to me as we headed to school yesterday, "I don't like art. The teacher tells us what to do and I don't get to choose what I make."

Sigh.

I've known since about the third week of school that the art teacher enforces the "do it exactly like the model" method of teaching art, if that's what you can call it. Sis and Bud kept bringing home projects exactly the same--in December, their snowmen had exactly the same colored stripes on their scarves. It's not at all creative and not really art. Even in coloring books, you get to choose the colors. But I didn't say anything because they seemed to like it (though not as much as P.E. and music).

At least they get a lot of chances to make art at home, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment