Friday, May 22, 2009

The Only Thing I Have to Fear

 . . . is fear itself, to paraphrase FDR.  I realized this most clearly when I was in the ER on Monday night:  I was more scared of being ill that night than on other occasions, such as my c-section or hernia repair, when I knew what was wrong.  Just not knowing increased my fear and pain (as did being alone--I had a palpable change in pain and disposition as soon as my minister appeared).  

And apparently, I'm not alone.  I wonder if knowing that the unknown increases fear and pain and unhappiness would have made the unknown more manageable, if only to make it more bearable?  Next time I don't know something, in a specific situation, I'm going to try to remember not to compound the fear and pain and unhappiness with concerns of the unknown.   Can it work like that?

I don't know.



No comments:

Post a Comment