But I'm "back." After much consideration of what I wanted, I realized a few things:
- my top priority is still being a full-time stay-at-home-mom (this is also a top priority for Mama), at least while the kids are at home (so until first grade, at least, when I could do part-time);
- I am not ambitious for a full professional career and would be satisfied participating in my field without being the head of a museum education department again;
- I am so fortunate that because of Mama's career and position and her support of my being a SAHM, I do not need to worry about financially contributing to our family or returning to full-time work or ambitious career;
- I do, however, want and need intellectual stimulation and do love art history and museum education and would be gratified to pursue both in some form again.
And so I called up a local art institution--not a famous, "name-brand" one with lots of employees and volunteers where I would just be another cog in the big wheel, but a small one where I can really utilize and cultivate my skills and experiences and make a difference--and I'm going to be "working" there. I put work in quotes because it is officially voluteering with some honoraria when I give lectures or programs. But it is very similar to my old career, in that I will be designing, coordinating, and implementing community and family programs (for which the current, very overwhelmed and overworked staff cannot plan to satisfaction--I really liked and clicked with the person with whom I'll be working.). Not your average volunteer work. But I guess with a Ph.D. in art history and 10 years experience in the field including running the education departments of two museums, I'm not your average volunteer.
And it feels so good. I could barely tell that 4 years had passed (except that I no longer have anything approaching a work wardrobe; luckily, it's very casual). I've been mulling options and ideas over in my head, planning for upcoming exhibitions, thinking about what would work best, both for the audiences and for me (since I'm not comfortable designing programs that require a huge time committment, since sometimes my time is committed at home). It's not my field, which is very specifically 19th-century English art and exhibitionary culture, being instead focused on modern and contemporary, so there will be something of a learning curve (help, Dr. American Modern!!). But I'm so excited. And with babysitter and preschool time, I can go there weekly as well as work on things from home but also run errands, do my PT, and, of course, spend all my usual time with the kiddos. The best of both worlds, so far without any new stress, or life-work balance challenges (I know, yet). YAY!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment