Monday, October 20, 2008

Worries and Ills

We've had a pretty good week since Gommie left (and not because she left, but because we tried to keep busy so we didn't think about her absence).

Except that Sis keeps accidentally hurting herself. About three times a day, Sis has what I would call minor or medium accidents: falling off her kitchen chair, rolling off the couch, getting a paper cut in her finger, catching her toe and cutting it. And then there was the time about a week ago that she fell off the playset when our babysitter was here. Tear-producing accidents. Poor thing. But it's usually something a hug, a bandaid, and Amy the Bunny and Shirt can fix (and I am well-versed on signs of concussion and spinal injuries now. Note: vomiting is always a bad thing after an accident). I have two theories: a growith spurt which has left her feeling a little imbalanced and exhaustion from a week of being woken up in the night by Bud.

He is worrying a lot recently: are we driving safely? what are we talking about in our adult voices? will the horse 100 yards away at Sturbridge run over me? Flush toilets at stores are too loud. Crossing the street is too scary. The worst thing? My leaving, either to go to my workouts or when I tuck him in bed at night. Poor Bud. His fears and worries aren't paralyzing, and, oddly, he never shows any reluctance about going to preschool and RE class on Sundays. He's always been sensitive, more prone to separation anxiety, but this latest bout of worry seems to have been caused by Gommie's departure. He's just worried about things, especially change or abruptness. So, we reassure him, encourage him, try not to talk too seriously around him. We acknowledge the worries but don't dwell, nor do we make fun. Because, of course, I'm a worrier and Mama is a worrier too. So we know.

I just hope we can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment