I had another epiphany today while talking to a teacher at the kiddos' school, who is in school herself (hi! since you said you sometimes read my blog . . . ):
School.
I should think about taking a class. Not for a degree, heaven knows I don't want another one of those. But for personal edification and enrichment. I've been wanting something to challenge my mind, something beyond reading the NYTimes everyday (not all of it, but lots of it). Something interesting, broad and/or deep, with other like-minded people (or even just bored undergraduates). Maybe intermediate ASL. Or an art history class way outside my specialty (Asian, anyone? African? Byzantine?). Or maybe a visual art like weaving or pottery.
I'm not talking about 10 week continuing ed classes at the local rec center, but a real class at a local community or 4-year college. Not the big one, though. It's fees for a language class are apparently $4K a semester. Perhaps 2-3x a week during preschool, starting in the spring or next fall.
I really should have thought of it earlier. I loved school all the way through (well, there were some trying semesters there at the very end). Spent some 30+ years in class, was 3 hours short of two bachelor's degrees, have 4 graduate degrees (okay, that's bragging, because, I mean, can you really count an M.Phil?). And for me, I definitely think it is better than a part-time/freelance job (like those exist for me right now), even if it costs us a bit in fees and books.
Stayed tuned, I might have a whole new subject to talk about soon! (And then, Mrs. Teacher, we can wave at each other at Starbucks!)
No comments:
Post a Comment