Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm Back

It was about a year ago that I started physical therapy for my abdominal and back issues. After almost 8 months of twice-weekly therapy, I graduated to the wellness program where I work out and get advice from the PTs there. But I missed my workouts for most of the summer because of childcare issues. With school and my regular babysitting schedule, I'm back to going 3 times a week. I can "chop" 40 lbs, having started at 10. I can hold all the positions I couldn't a year ago. I'm faster and can go longer on the treadmill and the elliptical, without my usual limp. And even though I still wear my abdominal brace, I've removed the outer bands and am adjusting to not wearing it at all. Hopefully, by Christmas! A big thank you to my PTs (who don't read this blog, but deserve gratitude and some more cookies!), one of whom some of you met at Applepalooza.

But I am still very cautious about picking up the kids, who just keep getting bigger. They know I can't pick them up but still ask occasionally. And sometimes, depending on the starting point, I can, like if I'm picking them up out of the car. And I do seem to find the strength and balance when there is an emergency (adrenaline is a wonderful thing). I just can't do it if we're both standing on the floor. Which still makes us all sad, especially when Sis or Bud says, "But Mommy, you can pick me up, you did your excercises." It's true, I do, every morning before even going to get them and I am getting stronger, but it's not enough yet.

I just hope I catch up before they are too big to pick up.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! You go,girl. Maintaining healthy bodies is what it's all about. Makes you enjoy life even more.

    ReplyDelete