Thursday, October 23, 2008

Multicultural Foodways

I've been thinking on food today. It started with Ms. School Director and I reminiscing about gelato in Italy, specifically at a place near the Pantheon called Della Palma that we both remembered. Then, I went to the library during my down time today and picked up a few new cookbooks to read: Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, a book on "freezer meals," and Nathan's Jewish Holiday Cookbook, which I'd been meaning to find because I love her Q&A for Passover and Rosh Hashanah. Then I looked over one of those seasonal cookie compendiums for sale at the grocery store checkout, which I always seem to be buying, and planned my holiday cookie baking while sipping some tea. Chocolate-Orange biscotti, anyone? How about Apricot-Almond squares?

We had matzo ball soup for lunch (this was before my trip to the library), from a Steit's mix. Sis thought it looked Chinese; Bud wondered if it were Italian. I tried to explain Jewish and how matzo is made. They liked it. A lot.

For dinner, Mama and I are having falafel, dolmades, and hummus.

The kids had ham.

It's just been one of those wonderfully diverse days.

No comments:

Post a Comment