Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Party of Parties!

I went to the party of parties last night.

No, not because there were tons of hip and happening people drinking and eating in merriment or in deep and clever philosophical conversation (no offense intended, you're hip and merry and clever, there just isn't a ton of you).

Nope, because it was a Tupperware party.

The iconic suburban mom party.

Despite being your standard suburban mom (no, really), I had never been to a Tupperware party before. Sure, I've been to the knock-offs and imitators, either in format or product--Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, Southern Living, Bath & Body, Stampin' Up--but never the original, the one that started it all.

And I had great fun. And bought some Tupperware. Did you know that red and blue ball with yellow shapes that we all played with as children is a Tupperware toy? We had one so I didn't get one, but who knew? Great first birthday present. I did get a jello mold. A real plastic jello mold. Bud's going to be so excited to see his jello salads in a ring instead of my boring old baking dishes. For Sis, predominantly, I got some holiday art stencils. And a lettuce saver--it had a fancy title, but in the end it keeps lettuce or other veggies fresh--so that I can quit using my fridge as an indoor compost heap to rot expensive organic produce that I forget to eat in time. I figure if the venting box saves a week or two worth of lettuce that it's paid for itself. What else? A round container, for pies, or cupcakes, or a 9" single layer cake, which will be great for church potlucks and playgroups (too bad you can't take treats to school for birthdays anymore because between the carrier and our baking trip into the city and my cookbooks and my cupcake lessons, I am so ready. I might do what the hostess has suggested and stalk the schoolkids just off school grounds with a trunk full of goodies, "Hey kids, it's Bud and Sis's birthday, want a cupcake??" Just kidding.). There were other things, but they are gifts so I can't mention them here.

Apparently, Tupperware is one of the only companies, in addition to McDonald's, that is turning a profit right now (and no, the Tupperware lady--I meant to ask if there are any men--didn't tell me that, the hostess did. And I'm not getting paid to endorse them, though I got a free gift of a personal salt and pepper shaker)? I guess as a nation we're either eating $1 value meals or taking our lunches and trying to keep leftovers safe. I must say, Tupperware has always been one of those jokes I never really thought was real, or still in existence. You know, kinda like the old actor you find out has died and you were surprised to hear he hadn't died a long time ago?

But Tupperware still seems to be alive and kicking.

And the hostess's two dips--please, please post the recipes or send them to me, Mama Teacher--looked great and tasted great on your lovely assortment of Tupperware.

I guess I'll just have to buy those pieces next time (if the hostess becomes a Tupperware lady herself and I throw a party. I promise, no jokes).

-=-=-=-=-

Basic Cream Cheese Spread

Serve block of cream cheese with a spicy chutney (I think hers was mango) poured over the top. Great with crackers.

2 comments: