Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Pre-Holiday Dinners

It often amazes me that I have to cook dinner even as I prepare for big events like Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sometimes the daily grocery list gets lost among all the other items and errands.  But I've done rather well for the last two days, without a lot of effort or planning.  Both were eaten by everyone in the family and would be meals I would make again.  And we have enough for lunches and leftovers, which just makes life easier.

One is Wildtree, again, from the slow cooker workshop.  I've talked to my friend and rep Miss L about becoming a rep, too, if only for the discount and the recipes!!  It would be easy to host a slow cooker workshop or two a year.  Stay tuned.



Mock Italian Wedding Soup
1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (I use Penzey's Tuscan Sunset)
1 egg
8 cups chicken stock
garlic powder and dried shallots to taste
1 cup carrots, chopped small
1/2 box ditalini or other small pasta
4 generous handfuls fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese


Bring chicken stock to a simmer.  (Optional:  you could start by sauteing garlic and onion, but I was in a hurry and just added some dry.)

Combine ground turkey with seasoning and egg.  Drop small meatballs into strongly simmering stock.

Add carrots and pasta until cook til both meatballs and carrots are done.

Add spinach and parmesan cheese and simmer until cooked through.

Serve.


Wildtree Turkey Breast, Adapted
2-3 lbs turkey breast or cutlets
3-5 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
20 baby carrots
1 package Wildtree Ranch Dip (minus 1 1/2 Tablespoons)
2 teaspoons Wildtree Blazin' Buffalo Dip mix (I would leave this out next time)
(I also added about 1 teaspoon each Wildtree Garlic Galore and Rancher's Steak Rub after I added the water, which seemed to wash the other seasonings off the turkey)

Layer ingredients in slow cooker (I put carrots and potatoes on the bottom), seasonings, and add 1/2 cup water.  Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment