Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Veterans' Day Controversy

Our kids did not have yesterday, Veterans' Day, off as a school holiday.  Apparently, the law in CT says that schools have the option to go to school, IF and only if, they have some kind of programming about Veterans' Day. (I'm told we're one of the only states to do that.)  So, I think, last Friday my kids had an assembly about soldiers and thus went to school yesterday.  I believe the argument goes that children will learn more about the day if they are in school.  I can understand that, because I know we'd do the usual thing on a day off from school and probably nothing related to soldiers or war.

The same could be said of most federal holidays which don't usually involve many or any religious or even civic celebrations (unlike 4th of July or Christmas or Thanksgiving)--Columbus Day, Presidents' Day, even MLK Day.  Right?

Now, the kids are in school on Columbus Day, and Presidents' Day is folded into winter break.

So, then, why do they not go to school on Martin Luther King Day?  We don't do anything about MLK day at home usually, beside comment on the fact that it is perhaps, or watch "I have a dream" on YouTube.  Wouldn't the kids learn more about him if they were in school?  An assembly would probably be a good idea.

So why the difference?  Is it a race issue?  Consideration for staff?   Anti-soldier sentiment here in CT?   The quirk of scheduling holidays with an eye on winter and snow?  I'm not sure, but I feel a change in opinion locally and won't be surprised if there is a push for the holiday in the coming years.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. In England in the schools I was at there was always a serious service on 11 November incorporating the 2 minutes silence. At age 6 or so it did not really register, my family lost no one in WW1. However by 1942 I had had an uncle killed in a tank in North Africa, and it came home to me and many others in that school, later I even knew older boys who had been killed. What did surprise me was in Louisiana in 1989 there was NO mention of Armistice Day in the church service and I assumed that was because the US losses were a deal less than UK. I asked the minister later and he said something like, my goodness I forgot all about it. It seems things have changed in US. I see no reason for a day off, should several million deaths be a cause for celebration? Anywhere.

    ReplyDelete