Sunday, November 9, 2014

Square Rounds*

I'm trying Granny Squares again, despite not being quite sure that they ever turn out right for me--I always think my holes are too big (mainly, because I've been told as much.)  But I'm playing with a large Granny Square afghan to use up my stash. (I've switched to a K-hook, instead of my usual M, and removed an extra chain stitch to try to decrease the size of my spaces.)  I always seem to overbuy yarn by a skein or so, mainly because I rarely make the fringe that my prayer shawl patterns call for, so I have half and full skeins in different colors floating around.  But many of them are pink- or purple-based so I had it in mind to do an afghan.  At our last craft meeting at the historic house--yes, I'm overseeing a craft group there that meets monthly--a woman was knitting up an afghan with her remaining stash by adding on. I don't enjoy knitting that much so I thought of ways to crochet it.  And here we are, the beginning of my Granny Square afghan.  I am only working on it every other day, so as not to risk bothering last year's "crochet injury."


*For non-crocheters, each "row" is called a round and in Granny Squares you work the rounds without turning the work over as you create the square.  

Large Granny Square Afghan
adapted from Knitterly Arts 
I've removed the ch 1 sp between side sets of 3 dcs.

Rnd 1: Ch 4, join with sl st to first ch made to form ring. Ch 5 (counts as 1 dc + 2 chs),
*work 3 dc in ring, ch 2, rep from *twice more, work 2 dc in ring; join with a sl st to 
3rd ch of beg ch-5. (four ch-2 corners) DO NOT TURN WORK.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, sl st into next ch-2 sp, ch 5, work 3 dc in this ch-2 sp, *ch 1
(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, rep from * twice more, work 2 dc in final ch-2 
sp (which is right beside the beg ch-5); join with sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch-5.

Rnd 3: Ch 1, sl st into next ch-2 sp, ch 5, work 3 dc in this ch-2 sp, *work 3dc in 
next sp (side), work (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp (corner), rep from * 
twice more, work 3 dc in next sp (side), work 2 dc in final ch-2 sp 
(which is right beside the beg ch-5); join with sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch-5. 
*Continue working rounds like Rnd 3 until afghan reaches desired size.  Edge as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment