Saturday, November 1, 2014

Trick or Treats

We beat the forecast and got our holiday in before the rain!

The kids were actually ready to go trick-or-treating as soon as they got off the bus at 4 p.m., but we managed to wait until 6 p.m.  They were in costume by 5:30, though, as soon as we finished dinner.  Sis was Legolas, with bow, cape, and Elven pin, but no long blonde wig.  Bud was Frodo, also with cape, pin, and a sword.  Yep, it was Lord of the Rings year.

While Mama and I were getting our acts together, they did go to the two next door neighbors.  And then we all headed out in the car.  See, for the last several years, we have started off our evening with visits to friends further away, including the pre-school director, their 1st and 2nd-grade teacher, and my friend Mama Teacher.  This year, Mama Teacher was at the movies, but we did see the former two, which is always special.

It was dark by the time we got home and they hit the sidewalk running while I took up my usual spot on the bench in the front yard, ready to pass out candy (none of this waiting inside for the doorbell to ring; I like to watch everyone coming and going, socializing with the neighbors, etc.)  Mama went with the kids but followed along behind.

Especially because, at first, they were with Neighbor Boy.  Soon, they switched to the little girl on their bus (the younger one, not the one in their class) and her family, along with Mama--everybody seems to have enjoyed that more.  The little girl was Cinderella; her sister, a pirate with squeaky shoes.

Believe it or not, we only had one Elsa (so, the Frozen drinking game wouldn't have worked here!)  We had an adorable dad dressed as a pirate with his little girl as his sidekick parrot--she did a great squawk.  There were also a Maleficent, Daniel Tiger, several random superheroes, and one teenager dressed up as the Tardis with a Bad Wolf cap!

But the rain started by 8 pm, putting a damper on both our kids' and others' trick or treating.  Soon, Sis and Bud were splayed out on the enclosed porch sorting their candy, swapping for favorites, and discarding the unwanteds in the buy-back box. (Sis likes plain Hersheys and also Kit Kats; Bud likes Crunch bars and chewy sweet things.) Then, turning off the porch lights, we headed inside to watch our traditional "Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" and "The Simpson's The Raven" and "Garfield's Halloween Special."

I had posted on FB earlier in the evening that we had non-food treats and had hung the poster with the teal pumpkin which indicated as much in our window.  But we had no takers looking for allergy-free treats.  That is until a friend on FB posted late wondering if we were still open so her allergic son could have a non-food treat.  We turned the lights back on and waited.  A few minutes later the kid, with his mom and dad in tow in the rain, showed up and we gave him two bottles of bubbles.  He was excited and so were we.

And that was pretty much it--we ate more candy (I got all the peanut stuff!) and finished our shows and were actually in bed at a decent hour, another happy Halloween, albeit a wet one, duly celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment