Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Election Day

The only thing I remember about Election Day from my childhood was that we ate our lunches at our desks while the cafeteria was being used for polling.  Sometimes, this meant fetching your cafeteria train and returning to your desk and then taking it back.

I missed voting in Bush v Dukakis by about a month and so cast my first presidential ballot for Bill Clinton.

And I've voted pretty much straight-ticket Democrat since then.

I know, I know, vote for the person, not the party.  But I find that by aligning themselves with a party instead of being independent, politicians are making very clear statements about who they are.  And they eventually support that party, especially in important party-line votes. And when Republicans do it, they vote against my interests--women's rights, gay rights,gun control, higher minimum wage, maternity leave, national healthcare, education, environmental protections (against coal, fracking, Keystone, emissions), voting rights, regulations for banks and financial institutions, separation of church and state . . . . I could go on and on and on.  Anyway, I don't mind voting for a Democratic ticket because I can't ever, ever vote for a Republican.

So, I woke up several times in the night to check the returns for Connecticut's gubernatorial race, but it was too close to call until lunchtime (when the Republican finally conceded.)  Bud, who has asked a lot of questions about elections and politics, asked me this morning, "Mom, will a Republican governor say you can't be married anymore?"   ( He also asked if Mama's job or our lives would be affected if there was a change in minimum wage or healthcare laws.  Gratefully, no.)  Despite all of our assurances, he worries about such things (and so maybe I should quit raging about politics in front of them.)  Thankfully, such things are probably unlikely here in Connecticut.  But the same can't be said for other places, like my home state of Texas.

And so, politics is very personal.  And I will always vote for Democrats.

(But I will say, as such, this election cycle was pretty hard to take.)

No comments:

Post a Comment