Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Canned Beet This!


Having started shopping last week and cooking on Monday, today I'm doing some fun prep while I'm waiting for it to snow.  (In fact, I think it might have just changed to snow now!  It'll probably change back and forth a few times.)   Yesterday, I made those delicious chocolate pecan bars, plus 7 Up LIme Jello Salad, Mama's cranberry horseradish relish, and even some Texas Trash/Chex Mix with the kids. Today I made some granola for breakfast and put up a jar of Grandmother's Pickled Beets (well, that sounds more impressive than it is.)  We have a bit more to do tonight and then all the regular cooking tomorrow.  Should be great.  And so, I'm enjoying the calm before the storm--both literally and proverbially. 

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Grandmother's Pickled Beets
beets (2 cans beets, drained; or equivalent raw beets, peeled, sliced, and simmered until tender, 30-60 minutes)
1 cup vinegar
2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Please beets in big jar.  In saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt.  Boil 5 minutes until hot.  Fill beet jars.  Do not cover.  Let cool to room temperature; cover.  Set in refrigerator overnight.  Ready to eat in 12-24 hours.

my paternal grandmother

No comments:

Post a Comment