Friday, May 17, 2013

"Paper Gardener"

I've been pouring over gardening plans and herb types . . . all from the colonial era!  Our Brownie troop is doing some gardening for the local historic house where I work.  And we're putting in a colonial herb garden.  I don't know what put the idea in my head; I'm not much of a gardener.  Hence Mama's new moniker for me--"paper gardener"--because I've been really good at reading about colonial gardens.

So far, I have lavender, sage, rosemary, thyme, winter savory, and the piece de resistance costmary, an honest-to-goodness unusual colonial herb with its own moniker, "Bible Leaf."  Apparently, people used to use the leaves as bookmarks because they repel bugs, like bay leaves repel weevils in my cupboard.  I received a clump of the herb when I visited another local historic house and the gardener had some to spare. Very exciting.

I'd love to get some other less common plants, like valerian, feverfew, chamomile, angelica, yarrow, lovage, marjoram, lemon balm.  I might be able to find the chamomile and marjoram.

There's always next year.  The troop has agreed to keep up with the garden, doing more planting and upkeep.  Which means I'll have plenty of chances to do more than garden on paper.


1 comment: