Friday, December 13, 2013

They're Strong to the Finish

 . . . 'cos they ate their spinach!!

I can't believe it, but I got the kids to eat--and enjoy!!--spinach.  I'm realizing that as long as I make questionable vegetables, like last week's green beans, a tad soy-saucey, they'll eat them.  Sis had two servings!!

It's all part of our attempt to increase our consumption of fruits and vegetables.  We try to mark off as many letters of H-E-A-L-T-H as we can each day, aiming at least for the "L."  It's almost a game.  And so far, we're winning.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Mandola’s Family Table Spinach

2 tablespoons each:  olive oil and chopped garlic (garlic powder can suffice)
2 pounds fresh spinach
20 oz (2 1/2 cups) chicken stock (or water)
1 teaspoon each:  salt and black pepper

            Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat.  Add garlic and heat until transparent.  Stir in spinach and chicken stock; simmer 2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serves six.

Gommie’s note:  Do not brown garlic.

Gommie Hungry


                                                                                                                      

2 comments:

  1. To get the benefit of the iron in spinach you MUST put plenty of lemon juice on it. I find it turns 'greens' into a feast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delicious way to make spinach! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete