Friday, December 20, 2013

Advent Activities: Cookie-Decorating Party!!!


Today was our second-annual cookie-decorating party.  The kids were great and it all went well, a perfect way to start winter vacation.

Some tips for myself for next year:

  • The last day of school before break, which is an early-dismissal day, is perfect--kids get all sugared up early and you send them home for dinner!  Plus, they are definitely in a happy holiday mood.
  • 6-8 kids is as much as my two tables comfortably hold.
  • Muffin tins are great for sprinkles and such--providing spoons to scoop, however, was completely unnecessary.
  • Aluminum cookie trays are great for both decorating cookies (and catching loose sprinkle) AND sending home the creations, which frosting is usually not hard enough to go into a cute cellophane bag.
  • We let them choose their shapes, decorating one cookie for each member of their family, at least (more depending on the family size, so everyone  has about the same number, usually around 6, with one for eating.)
  • Frosting in the cans needs to be pre-stirred so it is easily spreadable.  I opened too many cans today--1 for every two or three kids works just fine.  We never ask anyone to bring anything, but someone brought a can of frosting, which was helpful.  I only had white and chocolate; next year, other colors.  (I once did all of the tinting myself, but that is a big hassle so I go with the cans.  Besides, I'm not convinced anyone really eats the cookies.)
  • I had popcorn for a snack, but it was ignored almost completely today.  They were, however, quite thirsty.  And actually didn't eat much frosting or many decorations.
  • As they get older, they are more discriminating in their decorating, which took a little less than an hour; afterwards, they played upstairs.  Two hours or less is the perfect party length.

Such a success that I'm dreaming of an ice-cream sundae party on the last day of school before summer now!

No comments:

Post a Comment