Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Tree

With thoughts of the sadness with which my in-laws now approach Christmas, all of their Christmas decorations (decades of series of Hallmark ornaments, especially the Angels and the Eskimo Girl, plus all the homemade school ornaments, which Ma so proudly showed us each year, a different story for each) and so many other keepsakes destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, I wanted to record some of our Christmas tree this year.  It's not everything, not even especially my favorites, but the ones I got good pictures of, ones with good stories.

And now, instead of all the ornaments hung at the bottom of the tree when the kids decorated as toddlers and preschooler, the ornaments are all smack dab in the middle of the tree (the bottom left empty so as not to entice the cats!)

The kids clustered several of the ball ornaments together.
From last year, the polymer clay ornament I made.
Two faux origami dove ornaments from AMNH last year
A glass nativity given to me by Aunt Dot, I believe, decades ago; plus the polymer clay chick we got on Sunday for contributing to Heifer International at church (we bought two sets of chicks!)
These ornaments, plus another dozen or two, were made for me by my great-grandmother Mildred when I was the kiddos' age.  She gifted me a whole little artificial tree with puffy homemade heart ornaments, and a tree skirt, that I kept for years.  The tree is long gone and the ornaments disappeared about Gommie and Pop's fire, but I found them again on our trip to Texas this summer.  Our tree is complete with them.
Bud's origami penguins, from last year, inspired by AMNH's origami tree

No comments:

Post a Comment