On Sunday, Bud's kung fu academy had a big summer picnic at a local beach which we had never visited before. It was hot, with threatening storms so that we hadn't made up our minds to go until after church (which, coincidentally, was also about kung fu--the complementary philosophies of kung fu and UUism--the style was Ving Tsun and very different from Bud's wu shu--without much movement and a focus on the core line and balance, Bud thought it was "boring.") We picked up snacks at a grocery store--watermelon, cookies, and crackers and cheese. Mama kindly pointed out that perhaps cheese wasn't the best thing to take to a picnic of mainly Chinese people, who tend to be lactose intolerant. I hadn't thought about that, knowing that our family ate cheese and crackers and those snacks always seem to be at gatherings. Sigh of embarrassment. All the kids at the picnic downed the cookies and watermelon right away and some of the cheese and crackers disappeared . . . .but even I liked the fried wontons and special Taiwanese noodles better. I'll remember next time. (I do that with my in-laws, too, always think to serve cheese--mercy, we Euro-Americans serve cheese all the time! But I usually manage to remember).
The kids had a great time. There were friendly three-legged races, balls, the beach, and boardwalk. Later, I saw Sis tearing away from the beach and figured she had to use the restroom until I spotted the ice-cream man! Strawberry fruit bars, fudgesicles, a coconut bar, and creamsicle melted fast in the heat. We left when it started to drizzle, really glad we'd decided to go, even with the heat.
No comments:
Post a Comment