Friday, July 20, 2012

Weather the Weather

Today's weather--60s and overcast--has been a wonderful salve after weeks of 90Fs.  And tonight the low is 59F.

And as much as I appreciate the drop in temperatures, the gulf of 30ish degrees between the two--plus record droughts out west, record rain in the UK, record heat all over the US--brings climate change to the fore.  We do the average as far as environmentally-conscious practices go, but I can't help but feel it really doesn't matter if I recycle one more can in light of such ecological disaster.  Sure, I'll keep doing it, but it seems like the proverbial drop in the dirty bucket.

1 comment:

  1. Alas old bean you are being a bit pessimistic, I know what THAT means. There are some 250 milliom people in USA, one recycled can from each of them each week would make a very big heap even when crushed. Even the same saving from everyone in this country would make a nice pile, add in the rest of Europe....there I go on my hobby hoarse.
    A big volvanic eription causes more damage than ALL of us put together but there has not been a big one for about 200 years (Krakatoa) and a monstrous whopper for over 50,000 so we are probably overdue for near extinction...which is no excuse for not recycling as much as possible. As a footnote, in wartime England many women had to recycle certain things each month, now we have disposable diapers causing upsets in the recycling system.

    We, too, have had our Aurora moments, another version really of 911, nevertheless our sympathy goes out to the people involved.

    ReplyDelete