After weeks, months even of being neglected in the fridge while I could neither reach it nor bake with it, my starter has been resurrected! See, I saw that NYTimes article on biscuits--with baking powder and lard, or cake flour and butter--neither of which much resembles my own sourdough biscuit recipe (which link describes the last time I had to revive the thing)--and just craved biscuits. And remembered my sad starter.
It was dark in its little crock. Dark gray-green. But it smelled clear and sour, not funky. And it was not red. Apparently, red is the starter color of death (death for the eater, that is. It's the color of harmful bacteria). Using tips from King Arthur Flour's sourdough primer, I gave my starter a big meal and a warm place to stay (very easy today). And within a few hours, it was bubbly again. YAY! I was so happy. Now it gets to stay out overnight and eat again tomorrow.
At which point, we will probably make those biscuits!
No comments:
Post a Comment