And tomorrow is her birthday.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Comfort and Function
In thinking about my aunt, who is now in an acute-care facility, with no known diagnosis and still much weaknesses and discomfort after three full weeks in the hospital, I was a bit sad to read this article about caring for the frail elderly. Because I don't think of her that way. But I have come to understand that she is. Hopefully, just for now . . . . The article talks about slow medicine and one doctor's approach to geriatric treatment: comfort and function. Unfortunately, I don't think my aunt has received much of either. And not really much of traditional heroic medicine either, in that there have been no real answers or proposed solutions. She's in some kind of medical limbo. We are all, in a way, with her. I think we would rather have comfort. . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment