I'm watching David Rocco's food show, usually set in Florence, and he's learning to make these cookies called "cat's tongue," or linque di gatto (his pic at right). When the finished cookies were shown, I had a visceral memory: ice-cold, perfectly round versions of these fragile cookies carefully served from a flip-top box in my great-grandmother's fridge on weekend visits! I loved those vanilla cookies with the brown edges which I haven't seen since on the shelves of the cookie aisle. I think they were Nabisco or something, nothing special or imported; not Pepperidge Farm, which I remember being the adult cookie brand of my childhood. Anyway, I might have to make the homemade version of these cookies and put them in my fridge so I can eat them cold with milk. Those were such special times, great to be taken back to them unexpectedly today.
Friday, July 8, 2011
Memory Flash
I'm watching David Rocco's food show, usually set in Florence, and he's learning to make these cookies called "cat's tongue," or linque di gatto (his pic at right). When the finished cookies were shown, I had a visceral memory: ice-cold, perfectly round versions of these fragile cookies carefully served from a flip-top box in my great-grandmother's fridge on weekend visits! I loved those vanilla cookies with the brown edges which I haven't seen since on the shelves of the cookie aisle. I think they were Nabisco or something, nothing special or imported; not Pepperidge Farm, which I remember being the adult cookie brand of my childhood. Anyway, I might have to make the homemade version of these cookies and put them in my fridge so I can eat them cold with milk. Those were such special times, great to be taken back to them unexpectedly today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment