For about 6 months we've been having successful art playgroups with several friends. We've painted canvases, used watercolors, made string art paintings, among other things. In a few weeks, we're going to tie-dye (wish us luck!). It's all open-ended, with no set project prototype, lots of experimentation, tons of praise, and constant play.
A few weeks ago, we tried a storytime playgroup and it was largely a failure. Mind you the children had fun--we were spread out on picnic blankets in the yard under our tree with lots of books and snacks. The theme was weather or seasons so everyone brought books on that topic. And then, interestingly, children only seemed to listen when their own moms read. The rest wandered, ate, or played. No problem, of course, but I think they'd like the story too. And we didn't even try to make paper towel holder rain sticks!
And now I have an idea for another playdate, based on the cookbook article in the Times: a cooking group. Now, that cookbook Kitchen Playdates seems to be more mom food (the article mentioned sea scallops with balsamic glaze--um, I won't eat that and my kids can't) and not about lots of people playing in the kitchen together. But I think Mothering ran an article a few issues back about a group of moms who cook together with children too. I'd love to try that, and not just cookie decorating (which we've done several times now). I got some great feedback from my playgroup members about how they cook with kids--there is lots of measuring and washing and putting things in bowls. We can do that. Maybe we can start with a baked potato bar activity--lots of bowls and washing and maybe even a little cutting and shredding--and enough choices for the pickiest of kiddos. It would have to be a small group--I have two, so maybe two more (my kitchen isn't huge). But I think it would be great fun.
Hmmm, art and stories and food. Now to think up a good music and movement group. Yoga dance, maybe. Who needs to pay for classes?
No comments:
Post a Comment