Sunday, May 11, 2008

Music Hath the Power

Brahms is drifting over the monitor. It's lovely, except it means we've run out of options.

Buddy hasn't been sleeping well--he spent more than an hour awake two nights ago just desperate for love and hugs. Last night, it took more than an hour to get him to fall asleep. Today, when he fell asleep in the car on the way home from the beach (more on that next), he woke up hysterical and scared. And tonight he didn't even want to lie down in his bed. It's not pain and he hasn't identified a fear. But it is some kind of malaise. So after my fourth trip back in the room in five minutes, I decided to turn on the stereo in their room. It's been there since the beginning and we've never really used it much (successfully), despite our pediatrician's suggestions it would help with naps (it didn't). But tonight I turned on our string quartet lullabies and Bud was distracted enough that I got out of the room and even downstairs. Granted, Sis is now talking a blue streak, probably totally enlivened by even the most soothing of music, but at least Bud isn't weeping.

(Just for the record, I realize that these kind of sleep troubles happen to most of my friends regularly, if not nightly. I'm reminded of how draining it is. And am almost glad we sleep well at night usually, even without naps.)

It's actually been quite a musical day. Our service at church this morning was a musical one led by musician Nick Page. And it was phenomenally moving, both emotionally and spiritually--at the end we all danced in an impromptu circle around the sanctuary, clasped hands held high while singing. Earlier we had sung a song combining a Native American song (The Earth is Our Mother), a Hebrew song (Shalom Chaverim), and Wade in the Water, in an arrangement called Earth Shalom. The culturally disparate songs wove together magically. And our whole congregation embraced the power (for New England UUs, we're a rockin' bunch. Several of us were bona fide hippies. Still are.). There were other songs--a thumb harp rift including For the Beauty of the Earth (probably my favorite hymn) and the song Sweet Honey in the Rock.

It went perfectly with my mother's day present which was a homemade CD of my current favorite songs, or at least the ones I hear all the time: Natasha Bedingfield's Unwritten, "the bubbly nose song" by Colbie Caillat, Breakaway, Live like You Were Dying, I Think I Loved You Before I Met You, that song about smashing the car with the Louisville Slugger, plus several others. And, well, Mama's own additions of the theme songs of Wonder Pets, Dora, and Backyardigans. At least those are at the end.

It's pretty quite upstairs. Thank you, Brahms.


-=-=-=-=-

The Earth is our Mother, we must take care of her
The Earth in our Mother, we must take care of her

Chorus: Hey Yanna Ho Yanna Hey Yon Yon, Hey Yanna Ho Yanna Hey Yon Yon

Her sacred ground we walk upon, with every step we take (x2)
The Earth is our Mother, she will take care of us (x2)

Shalom, chaverim,
Shalom, chaverim,
Shalom! Shalom!
L'hitraot, l'hitraot,
Shalom, shalom.


Wade in the water.
Wade in the water, children.
Wade in the water.
God's gonna trouble the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment