Sunday, May 25, 2008

I Love Princess Leia

Ohmygosh, Return of the Jedi is on tv. I haven't seen that in ages.

And I was such a big Princess Leia fan.

I was six when Star Wars came out and saw it in the theater numerous times.

By the time Return of the Jedi came out six years later, I was obsessed. I had been Princess Leia for Halloween at least twice before. Swept up by what I now understand to be the first real movie merchandise marketing juggernaut (at least aimed at children), I had hundreds of trading cards, school supplies, t-shirts, lots of action figures, books, stickers, record albums (both soundtrack and the "story"). I could quote scenes at length and knew all the minutiae about the stories and the filming. I even read Splinter in the Mind's Eye.

My mom even took me out of school the day the Jedi opened so I could see it right away. My mom is a great mom! (Which makes me wonder what movies I'll let my kids out of school to see). And I relished going to school the next day knowing everything and not telling.

Anyway, I thought Princess Leia was strong and smart and pretty and courageous. Forget these wispy, whimpy, wishy-washy Disney princesses. Leia could kick their butts.

It's great to see the movie again, especially because I thought the new ones (the first three in the series) were awful.

And I still love Princess Leia.

No comments:

Post a Comment