- Last night, Sis started taking American Sign Language classes with me. As you know, I've been taking one-on-one ASL since last May. And I've gotten pretty good, much better than I expected. I can hold my own in a conversation with my teacher (and her husband, who is harder to follow because a). he's faster and b.) I don't sign with him as often) without resorting to spelling everything. It's the farthest I've ever gone with a language as far as conversational abilities, but then I took ancient Greek and Latin and only reading-skills of French and German. But all my self-study of Italian and Mandarin never paid off like this. See, I've always wished I could speak in another language. I just shouldn't have gotten so hung up on the "speaking" part. Sis blew through the alphabet and numbers and will pick it up quickly, I think. We don't call her "Eagle Eyes" for nothing.
- Sis is selling Girl Scout cookies!!! As usual, Mama is making the most progress, with donations to the soldiers from her co-workers, but Gommie and Pop made a sizable contribution, too. Thanks!!
- Today, Mrs. K (their 1-2nd grade teacher) and her daughter, who also babysat for us some, came over for a post-holiday visit before said daughter goes back to college. The kiddos had a wonderful time sharing card tricks and piano songs with them. We also drank hot chocolate and ate some of the Christmas sugar cookies I had stored in the freezer.
- Bud is prepping for kung fu performance season, which always kicks into high gear for Chinese New Year. There will be extra practices and perhaps three performances . . . .
- . . . the week after Gommie is here. Yep, Gommie is coming! She'll be here almost a week during February break. Yay! Gommie, shall we all go see Matilda in town?? We'll see if we can get tickets.
- Also coming up: celebrating Chinese New Year with the in-laws before they head to Thailand (which means Mama and Goo, hopefully, will be making the dinner on the actual holiday), and I go on a drawing retreat.
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Just a few brief bits about what we're up to: