Monday, March 17, 2014

Children of the Corned Beef

Happy St. Patrick's Day to those wearing o' the green!

Where I grew up, even with (or because of) so few people of Irish descent, we would wear green and pinch those who didn't.  There was one boy who would wear green only on his socks and trick us all into pinching him, which meant he got to pinch back.  But they don't do that up here and my kids didn't care if they wore green today (which can be part of their uniforms.)  They like eating traditional American St. Patrick's Day foods though:  corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, which we've eaten for two meals now, both times while listening to Riverdance.  And, if I'd made it, I imagine Sis would've liked colcannon.  Otherwise, even though we found out last year that we can trace a relative to 17th-century Ireland, we don't really go in for all the drunken, stereotypical "kiss me, I'm Irish" debauchery (see here, for an interesting discussion of this.)  But, I think they'd both make great Irish stepdancers!

No comments:

Post a Comment