Thursday, April 4, 2013

Poetry Jam: Something New

In past years of celebrating National Poetry Month, I have read poetry to the kids at bedtime most nights.

Well, this year, it's a little different.

We sit on my bed with our pile of poetry books scattered around--Shel Silverstein, Jack Prelutsky, random (and Random House) collections--and they choose poems to read to me!

It's such a treat to hear them read about Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout not taking the garbage out or one sister for sale, poems I read and recited as a kid.

And then I read something--"Jabberwocky," "The Owl and the Pussycat," "The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat," or "Casey at the Bat"--and we go back and forth.

Though, last night we noticed that we're so busy looking for our next poem that we don't always hear the one being read.  Tonight, we're going to take some time to choose first and then read aloud to each other.

It's better than I ever could've hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment