Wednesday, April 24, 2013

One Down

Our first week of tours at the historic house are over.  I did two of the tours--one was great, the other was good enough.  I've added some new bits to this year's tour--some more Revolutionary War facts and a section about colonial music.  We even play a recording of "Yankee Doodle" with different lyrics, first the British ones and then some American ones making fun of George Washington.    To go with the music, I added a lap harp the students can play to our activity centers; there's even sheet music for "Yankee Doodle."    I also changed the weaving activity--instead of a small inkle loom, we now have a more historically-accurate paddle loom on which women and girls would make tape, or ribbons.  And today, with beautiful weather (and because the class arrived 45 minutes early and we were stretching things quite a bit), the students played outside.  First, it was boy vs. girl in a race of wooden hoops.  Then they lined up to play snap the whip, tumbling all over the ground.  All in all, a good week.  I look forward to four more.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things went well. I'm glad for you. Good luck with the rest, I'm sure they will go just as well.

    ReplyDelete