Monday, April 29, 2013

Thoughts and Prayers

I added it at the end of my post on plants in the Rockaways, sort of a throwaway about the difficulties my in-laws face in the upcoming weeks.

They deserve more than that.  On Tuesday, my mother-in-law undergoes a cornea transplant after a routine cataract correction became complicated.  She put off the surgery so she could visit her 95-year-old father who has been ill in Bangkok.  But the doctors have pressed that it won't wait til the end of the school term, so she is scheduled for next week.

Corneas are viable about a week after they are donated.  Which means her cornea donor is probably alive right now.  I can't help but think about what kind of week that person and his or her family will have between now and my MIL's surgery next week.  My thoughts and prayers are with them, as well as my deepest gratitude for being an organ donor.

At almost the same time, my father-in-law starts his treatment for prostate cancer.  His prognosis is good, but he still must face the radiation and all of its side effects.

Of course, we will help in what ways we can.  And our thoughts and prayers are with both my MIL and FIL as the difficult times continue.  When it rains, it pours.  And hopefully, then there will be a rainbow.


1 comment:

  1. I saw the devastation on the news a few days ago, they have been doing updates on Sandy I guess because it's been 6 months. I hope they both go through their procedures with ease and they are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete