Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Table for Two

While Mama and I lazily delayed getting out of bed Sunday, discussing the big breakfast we would make, the kids surprised us by setting up a restaurant downstairs.  There were even menus!  So I ordered trail mix and cheese and crackers, with iced tea, while Mama had peanut and crackers with water.  (Not exactly the pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs that we had dreamed of!)  We received prizes with our meal, little toys.  There was piano accompaniment.  And even a restaurant cat!  All for $2.  Plus tip. And we bought the discount membership.

They've been playing restaurant for years.  They have a huge assortment of plastic food and dishes and have many times converted the sofa table to a restaurant table.  On Sunday, there were cloth napkins and a tablecloth!  Sis even has an order pad she got from the nice man at the local gyro place; she uses it lovingly and sparingly.  One of my favorite versions is hibachi, where they chop lots of food and even bang the seasoning shaker cup over the meal.  I love that now they are using real food!

Of course, sometimes I wonder (or worry) that perhaps real restaurants play too big a role in our lives--we do so like to eat out.  But it's too late to change that and I'm not sure I want to that much.

1 comment:

  1. So cute! But were you dying for the breakfast you had planned???

    ReplyDelete