Friday, April 29, 2011

The Writing on the Paper

An article in the NYTimes today bemoaned the loss of cursive writing. Students might be taught, briefly, how to write in cursive, but usually stick to block print. In fact, one college student, not only unable to write in cursive, was even being unable to read her own grandmother's writing. "It was kind of cryptic," she said.

It makes me want to go write a long letter in cursive, something I use off and on in my nightly journalling, depending on my mood. I can write faster in cursive, though my writing is neater in block print.

I would be sad to think my kids would not be able to read my handwriting, or their Gommie's. Pop's handwriting is pretty blocky (hmmmm, so is his sister's, my aunt Paula). But his mother's, my grandmother's, is downright illegible, even to me, as it seems to be one long line with some short loops and dots.

But there's hope: our kids are learning cursive, or at least the beginning blocks, as their school teaches the loopy D'Nealian form of printing so that kids can more easily learn cursive next. I didn't learn D'Nealian so it's funny to remember to add loops and such when I print for them so they can read it (because they never identify my unadorned "i"). Funny though, to see first words and writings, with all the flourishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment