Thursday, April 14, 2011

Royal Wedding

Believe it or not, Anglophile that I am, I'm not paying too much attention to the upcoming Royal Wedding (except where Legos or Chocolate McVite's cake is concerned). And I've been trying to figure out why.

And I think it's because of the last royal weddings I remember, those of Princess Diana and also Sarah Ferguson. I was a youngster then, awed by the pomp and princess-ness, wowed by the fairy tale.

And it all went so horribly wrong. Betrayal, disloyalty, adultery, divorce. And Princess Diana's tragic death. And those young boys--the groom-to-be--walking behind him mum's coffin.

It's hard to forget all that and get excited about this one, knowing that fairy tales are just that, make believe. And even though all things look rosy and joyous for the young couple, and I wish them everything the previous Windsor generations have not had on the marital front and much more, I'm hesitant to invest too much in it.

But I will tape it, drink a cuppa, maybe make scones and tea sandwiches to share with the kiddos. Because maybe this Royal Wedding can be their fairy tale. For now . . . .

1 comment:

  1. The Middleton family is staying the night before the wedding at The Goring Hotel, Victoria, London...It is a genuine family run hotel and was the FIRST IN THE WORLD to have all the rooms with en-suite bathrooms. The WCs were supplied by Thomas Crapper, said to be the inventor of the WC. There is an original on the hotel yet.

    ReplyDelete