Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sleep Tight*

We had a slumber party here on Friday night.

The kids had been planning it with their friends on the bus for a week: s'mores, sleeping bags, flashlights, games, snacks, staying up late.

And so that's just what we did.

Except by ourselves.

Yep, we practiced having a sleepover because the kids are still too young to have a real one. In fact, when they were talking about going to a slumber party, they thought we would go too! "But, Mom, I can't sleep without you there!"

The party started when they got home midday, making it the longest slumber party ever! We had their favorite lunch, played in the house and the yard, had an early bubble bath, watched Star Wars for rest time, and then played with the new lightsabers I'd gotten just for the occasion. They ran around the house playing Star Wars. Sis is always Luke. Bud is Han. I'm Princess Leia. Mama is, well, either R2-D2 or a Jawa. She makes a great beep.

We put the kids to bed early, at 6 pm, so that they had plenty of time to play before "lights out" at 8:15 pm. They took up coloring books, other books, flashlights, and who-knows-what-else to pass the time. And for awhile we only heard happy squeaks and squeals.

But about an hour later, Sis came out, disappointed, "I don't know what to do anymore. What are we supposed to do?" And so she invited Mama and I to join them.

We brought Candy Land and a snack. What could be more fun: staying up late, eating after brushing AND upstairs, telling stories and signing songs, and hanging out with moms? Okay, sure, not every slumber partier would think that last one was cool, but it is when you're 5.

And 40!

-=-=-=-=-=-

*"Sleep tight," I have only recently learned, has nothing to do with rope beds, probably originated at the end of the 19th century, and most likely meant "sleep snugly." Go figure. I've been passing around the false etymology for years.



No comments:

Post a Comment