Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mommy, Invisible: Making Matters Worse

While I was not actually all that offended by being ignored by my five-year old this morning because I recognize (and was repeatedly told that by the preschool teachers) that kids behave oddly when their parents come to school (even though I recall being thrilled and proud when my mom was there), I did think it was necessary to remind her that, according to all the beliefs we hold (UU: worth and dignity of all people; kung fu creed: respect; and, school pledge: take care of others), we acknowledge and greet people we know when we see them.

And she said, "But I didn't see you, Mom."

Uh-huh.

I tower above her, was less than a foot away, and she practically had to turn away her whole torso to avoid me.

Now we can add deception to disrespect.

So, what do the teen years hold for me if this is kindergarten?

I love that girl, I really do.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment