Four classes, two days. I just finished giving in-class programs to the third graders at Sis and Bud's school in preparation for their field trip next week to the historic house where I volunteer. I entitled it, "Weird but True: Colonial Life," but maybe should have called it "Ewww But True" because of all the gross stuff I shared--no baths, corn cobs for toilet paper, lice/fleas/nits, mice, trash middens right in the backyard, multiple-seat privies, hay mattresses, also boys dressing in skirts until they were about 7, corsets, long slow travel times, cold and dark houses, etc. And then we made sachets, using lavender, winter savory, and rosemary, which were designed not only to smell sweet but to ward off bugs!
I forget perhaps how well-versed Sis and Bud are in historic houses, because several of these kids didn't realize that colonists had no electricity, no plumbing, no heat/AC, no well-stocked stores, no plastic, no trash pick up, no hospitals (yes, one girl asked me how women had babies! She didn't mean physically, thank heavens, but where.) I think they could barely fathom it. And I forgot to start so simply because I figured they knew. I won't make that mistake again. They had lots of great questions--and some challenging ones, like how would Santa get in the house if there was usually a fire--I had to tell them that colonists didn't really dwell on Santa Claus or even on Christmas. They did not like the picture of the rat skeleton but loved the discussion of toilets the most. They were shocked by the boys in skirts but pretty uninterested in how syllabub is made straight from milking a cow and not so surprised by the pillow I stuffed with hay to represent the mattresses they had. They were all pretty surprised by the picture of George Washington's fake teeth and the fashion of wearing white-powdered hair (or wigs.) They couldn't believe how long travel took (5-6 days between Boston and NY! And sleeping in inns in bed head-to-toe with strangers!) And they liked the etymology of "lousy," being full of lice, especially because lice had been going around school.
They all seemed to enjoy the sachet project, though one class ran so long that they'll have to save making theirs with their teacher next week (that was my only disappointment, especially because it was Sis's class.) They followed directions for a pinch of this and a spoon of that well enough, even managing to bundle the cheese cloth into a little packet, but many of them couldn't tie. I never dreamed that third graders would be unable to tie a knot or bow. It's a great project, but prepping materials for 100 students would be my limit--I'm not sure I could do the sachet project with all schools if and when we could expand the in-class program (that would be 700 or so strings and cheesecloth squares!) I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.
It was fun to be in Sis and Bud's class, though neither of them answered any of my questions, letting the other kids have a turn. I had a few pictures of them--Bud at the archaeological dig in the backyard, Sis cooking in the fireplace. And a picture showcasing the Brownie troop because they built the herb garden, which provided the winter savory and rosemary for our sachets (but not the lavender, as our plant didn't flower, so I bought buds in bulk.) Everybody got a kick out of recognizing people in the photos--one class wanted me to take their picture at the house, too (but permissions being what they are, who knows! Which is why this post is un-illustrated.)
So in a week, I welcome them to the historic house, on the last tour day of the season. It's been a pretty good one, but I'll be glad for a bit of a break.
Multi seat privie was surely so that each person has his/her own, not so that they could be pally. In old England some of the posh houses had a privie in the upstairs bedrooms and a bucket outside at ground level, no doubt yours did too. Have a close look, you may find some odd enclosed spaces.
ReplyDeleteDo you remember the fake rat that ran along the wall of Hampton Court
Palace kitchen? One of those would add some realism