Even though the weather is on a warm streak, I am on a soup kick, mainly because I have a(nother) cold. So, I made Chicken and Rice Soup to slurp on today and I found a recipe for Cabbage Soup, while trolling the internet for something like Katz's Deli's cabbage soup, which I enjoyed immensely this weekend; I'll be making it next.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Chicken and Rice Soup
1 onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
carrots, diced (I used part of a bag of carrot sticks)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts
6-8 cups chicken stock
1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
cooked rice
Cook onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil until onions are tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add stock and chicken breasts and simmer until done. Add seasoning. I like to keep rice separate until serving time so it doesn't absorb all the broth.
Mommy Hungry
Cabbage Soup
3 lbs. flanken or lean short ribs
3 1/2 quarts water
6 beef bones
1-3 lb head cabbage, shredded
salt to taste
1-35 oz. tomatoes
2 onions, sliced
3 stalks celery, diced
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
8 gingersnaps, snapped in half
2 cups cooked cranberry beans
In large pot, cook beef and bones in enough water to cover. Simmer 15 minutes and then skim top. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer covered for 3 hours. Refrigerate overnight, skim reheat, and serve.
adapted from Hope Hirschhorn, Harrison, NY
I Must Have That Recipe
The chicken and rice would hit the spot right now!
ReplyDelete