Monday, April 23, 2012

Poetry Jam: Planning a Poetry Party

We're having a poetry party this weekend to wrap up National Poetry Month.  So far I have several (too many) options for activities:

  • Recite memorized poems.  Sis has "Pelicans" down.  Bud might do that one, too.  I'm still choosing mine.
  • Read selected verses (should there be a theme like Shel Silverstein Saturday?  Or Ogden Nash Night?). I'm still working on a focus.  I toyed with food in verse with attendant morsels, but all the poems seem to be about spaghetti!  Somewhere I read suggested doing a cafe theme.  Not sure Sis and Bud are up for espressos and black turtlenecks (and cigarettes!)
  • Create poetry together:
    • Exquisite Corpse (people write verses separately and then you put them altogether, I believe)
    • bring lots of words (cut from magazines or written on sheets of paper) to put in center of table and everyone chooses ten from the pile (peeking or not) to use (plus 5 additional "freebies")
    • write a line at a time going around the room to add to it
    • choose a topic and everyone write for five minutes
    • fill-in-the-blank/Mad-Lib like verse
    • complete-an-acrostic poem based on everyone's name
  • Create poetry alone and share--haiku, acrostic, cinquain, diamante, concrete/shape, free verse etc etc etc (the list could go on forever)
  • Illustrate favorite verses and frame pictures on the wall
  • Make our own commonplace book to collect our favorite verses

Love to hear your poetry ideas . . . or poetic food ideas, as long as it's not pasta!

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be hilarious if you all did dress in black turtle necks and then you could get the kids some candy cigarettes (if they still make them??) and one of you could be at a mike while the rest of you sit listening with your coffee and cigs. HAHA it would be great! I can't find any ideas for food except for what they would have a a cafe such as scones, muffins etc. Sounds fun and good luck finding ideas.

    ReplyDelete