Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Poetry Jam: Jammin' Again

While this post is belated, we have been celebrating National Poetry month again this year.  We are back to reading our favorite poet, Jack Prelutsky, he of Awful Ogre.  This time we started with his collection, My Parents Think I'm Sleeping, a book recommended by their teacher.

We have all the poetry collections we used last year--The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Arnold Lobel), A Child's Book of Poems (Gyo Fujikawa), The 20th-Century Children's Poetry Treasury (edited by Jack Prelutsky), Classic Poems to Read Aloud, The Kingfisher Book of Children's Poetry, Robert Louis Stevenson's A Children's Garden of Verses,  lots of Shel Silverstein, and others.  Mama also found a copy of a book of folk poems, or lyrics to songs, mostly new to us.  And I look forward to finding some new poets for them.

And for me.  I'm going to read some poetry for myself as well.  I might find a book by Jane Hirshfeld, who was featured in my favorite PBS documentary "Buddha" or read more Adrienne Rich.  I might also ask our current minister, who loves poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment